Thursday, March 24, 2011

Family...

As some of you know I work per diem for an area hospital's home care unit as a social worker. Well today I visited a woman who is 100 years old. That's right everyone 100 years old! As I sat and watched her daughter in law lovingly help her eat lunch and use the restroom (because the patient has a broken shoulder, not because she's 100 by the way) I thought to myself how I hope I have that someday. Not the broken shoulder or need for help going to the bathroom or even being 100 but that my family would love me enough to do those things for me and to still want me to live within minutes of them so that they can see me daily. DAILY! I don't even want to see me daily. And then here I was sitting and watching this family go through a typical day to day routine and all I could think about was how I hope that I show Bennett as much love and affection as this woman must have shown her son (and daughter in law) to make them want to be there for her now. The majority of my family lives only about an hour drive away and yet most of them I only see on holidays. My grandparents see my aunt more than me and she lives 16 hours away. This is just wrong. We all get busy with the day to day grind but I need to remember that family won't be here forever but dishes will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment